Until very recently it was thought that Cheltenham Town Football Club was founded in 1892.
However, recent evidence points to the origins being five years earlier when Mr Albert Close White returned to his native Cheltenham from college in London to take up a teaching post. While away on his studies Mr White discovered the game of association football and he is now credited with being the first person to introduce the sport to the town of Cheltenham. Trials were held at the East Glos Cricket Ground in 1887 and the club was born.
The club went on to spend its first three decades in local football, where a number of championships and cup wins were celebrated. The team played at three grounds within half a mile of their current home, namely Agg-Gardner’s Recreation Ground, Whaddon Lane and Carter’s Field. The most notable players during this time included Gloucestershire cricketers Charles Barnett and Gilbert Jessop; and Mr Phil Bach, who later played for Sunderland and became one of only two players to graduate from Cheltenham Town before going on to play for the full England team.